Monday, January 6, 2014

Comfort knitting -- socks and lace

I don't know if anyone else is like this, but I find that there are types of knitting that have a rhythm or ease that make me feel good inside .... like comfort food, only comfort knitting.  I have two basic types of comfort knits: socks and lace.  3x1 rib socks that are stable and predictable.  Lace that emerges from the needles and forms patterns.

I always have socks on needles.  I shrunk the last pair of boot socks that I made for John, so these are a superwash wool/nylon blend to replace those.  (The shrunken socks are now my felted house socks, and boy do they keep my feet warm!)  I always love knitting the foot portion, and then it takes forever to do the leg and I think I will never get done with them.  These are full-calf legs, and I was ready to kill something before it was over!  So now, I need to get some nylon yarn to carry with some alpaca, and make myself some nice warm socks.



I love knitting shawls.  I have a dresser drawer full of them, and still can't stop myself from starting another, so I always have lace on my needles.  (BTW, multiple projects is why I will always have fixed circulars, as well as an interchangeable set.  If you only have one project at a time, just the interchangeables would be fine, but that will never happen in my lifetime!)

This shawl is Little Valentine, done with the additional rows after the shawlette size, and is knit in Brown Sheep hand-dyed sock yarn.  If I had stopped at the shawlette size, I could have done it with one hank.  It measures 6 feet in wingspan, and 3 feet in depth.  I love blocking lace and seeing the design!  I couldn't wait for it to come off needles to take a picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment