Sunday, November 11, 2012

Thrumming, and cutesy kid knitting

Last week one of the Knitting Daily posts was about thrumming.  When I read about it, I realized it's what I want to do to make slippers for my mom, who has diabetes and needs warm foot coverings.  If you haven't heard of thrumming, it's a very pioneer concept -- using all of what you have and not wasting anything.  Thrums are the trimmed ends off of weaving.  The wool was looped and knitted into the stitch on the inside of mittens, and provides extra warmth.  The technique was also used with the locks of wool from sheep shearings, when the lock was not acceptable to go into the carding to be spun.  I decided to try the technique with some roving I had on hand, and this is how it is turning out:

I think I got a little carried away with the fleece!  Luckily, what I've read says that the wool will felt with wearing, so it won't look like a wooly mess forever.


I think I'll save my first effort for myself, and make my mom another pair.  I'll put some puff paint on the bottom, and have some no-skid snuggy slippers for myself.  I live in Wyoming, in a house that my husband likes to "comfort" to temperatures he likes: 65 degrees in the daytime, and 55 degrees at night, so I'm always cold.



I am so blessed to have found my friend Dani, who doesn't mind when I want to knit cutesy little things for her 5-month-old son. I told her about a Christmas tree hat pattern that I wanted to try, and she said, "Go for it. Peyton will wear it!" So I made the hat for Peyton and his 2-month-old cousin Warrick, and had some yarn left over from the leftover ball I used, so I made some socks for Peyton to go along with his hat. Maybe Dani and her brother can have pictures done of the cousins in their Christmas hats. They are both first children, so there are lots of picture-taking opportunities.

1 comment:

  1. Too cute hats and sox.

    Your thrumming is a great idea and I know your Mom will bless you each and every time she slips her feet into her slippers, Johanna. Nothing better than warm tootsies.

    hugs

    ReplyDelete