Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Grab bag

I've been working on a lot of fun and new (to me) techniques, so I decided I would just put the projects in a grab bag for my kids to go through at Thanksgiving.  If they like them, they can take them.  If not, I can donate them or give them to somebody I know who would like them.

I have been learning fair isle knitting with two hands at once (how lucky that I learned how to continental knit, as well as English knit that I have always done).  Two hands at once is a huge time saver, rather than dropping and picking up strands.  I love snowflake patterns, but couldn't find a fair isle snowflake hat that I liked, so I designed one myself. 

 
 
 
This cowl was the October KAL from knitpurlhunter.  I didn't have any Simpliworsted when I got the itch to start the mystery KAL, so I grabbed a skein of Bamboo Ewe that was in my stash, and got to work.  Luckily the yarn lasted just long enough (it called for 2 skeins of Simpliworsted and I only had one skein of Bamboo Ewe in Grape, but there was more yardage in one skein of Bamboo Ewe than in Simpliworsted.  I don't know what I would have done if I had run out!)  It was a quick knit and I liked the two pattern stitches it used.
 
On a lighter note, I think I need to take this head to an art student I know and get her to draw features on the face!


 
 
This scarf is the Pioneer Braid pattern in Crystal Palace MiniMochi (at least I think it was MiniMochi).  There is a young woman in our neighborhood who is learning to knit, and decided she didn't like the yarn for what she had bought it for.  Karessa is a sweet girl who comes over once every couple of weeks and I teach her something new about knitting.  She gave me two balls of the yarn as a thank you, so I went to the LYS where she got it and got another ball to try this scarf.

 
 
 
I wanted to try the Susie's Reading Fingerless Mitts pattern, so I grabbed a ball of Paton's Lace out of my stash and got busy.   There's a lot of yardage in one ball of that stuff, I can tell you!  So I had a lot left over after the mitts, and wanted a project to learn provisional cast-on with a circular needle cable, so I did the slanted stitch in an infinity scarf with the 3-needle bind off.  Karessa liked the slanted row stitch so much that she decided to do one herself.  Hers is coming along very nicely.

(The head looks a little less creepy when covered, don't you think?)

No comments:

Post a Comment