Friday, February 3, 2012

What's new, section three -- SPINNING

For my birthday last year, John got me a Lendrum spinning wheel.  I've always wanted to learn to spin.  One of my dear friends out here looked at it and said, "You know, they sell that *#%* in stores!"  And I do know that (as you can tell from my stash room!) but for me the interesting part of any of my crafting is in the creation, and the way you can make something totally different by changing one little aspect of the design.



I am enjoying learning to spin, but I'm still not very good at it.  My control of the size of strand (ply) is improving.  I can now spin medium-weight (sport to worsted sizes) fairly consistently.  I'd like to try now to do a thick-and-thin yarn, which is all I could manage in the beginning!  It was accidental then, so I'd like to try to do it on purpose.

This hat was knitted with my first handspun yarn.  It was spun on a drop spindle, then wheel plied.


1 comment:

  1. I love to read and watch podcasts when it's spinning related.
    Know for certain that drop spindle is not for me.
    NO, I'm not going to spin. But I love hearing about those wheels. And love to see what has been spun and plied. Now am seeing more and more items knit with those yarns. Spinners are ADDICTED ! ! !

    Are you one of THOSE ?????

    You must certainly be. Good on you, Joanna.
    The yarn from my yarn club is soooo wonderful to feel, smell, squish and squash.
    Anne Hanson, the creator of this yarn club designed a special pattern for this shipment.
    I've seen a couple already knit up on the Rav group BareNaked club.

    Am anxious to co something when I find the time.

    hugs
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete