Monday, November 25, 2013

More shawls

I have discovered I love knitting shawls.  I don't know why, but I do.  I have a lace shawl on the needles right now, and recently finished these two.

I find self-fringing a fascinating (and frightening) adventure.  This is a pattern called Fringed Benefits, which I adapted by using 3 stitches at the edge for self-fringing instead of the 5 the pattern called for.  The reason I say this frightening is because you bind off all but the end stitches on each end, then unravel and tie off each row of un-bound stitches.  I worried a great deal as I began this.  And believe me, I tried it on a test-knit before I attempted it with the finished project!  This shawl was made with 3 balls of Bambool (I guess you got that is a bamboo-wool blend!)  Since 3 balls made a shawl that is 48" tip-to-tip, I think I will try again with the one ball I have left, and make a shawlette with it.



I absolutely love knitting with bamboo.  I love the softness, the drape, everything.  So I made another shawl, this one with Caron Spa yarn that I got on clearance for $2/ball.  Since it took 3 balls to make this shawl, I think the $6 was money well spent!

This pattern is the Firefly yarn Dayflower Shawl.  I made the end and short row shaping with one ball for each end, and used the third ball to add shoulder-to-shoulder width in the full depth of the pattern.  It is 72" long, which provides plenty of length to tie in front or drape long.




No comments:

Post a Comment