Thursday, August 2, 2012

Where has the time gone?

Just saw that it has been over 6 weeks since I posted, so here I am again.  I have lots of things on my needles right now. I just finished and sent off to my friend in Florida another Summerflies shawl, this one bigger than the one I did for myself.   I have been doing the knitpurlhunter KAL Independence pillow.  I also have a pair of 2-at-a-time toe-up socks on the needle to try the Fleegle heel.  Just about ready for the heel, so I'll let you know.  I also started another Ashton shawl (my 5th) in worsted weight black sequined yarn for my daughter Liz.  I have been knitting more Puerperium sets (see previous post) for more friends with babies or grandbabies on the way or just arrived. I also have a Garn studio top-down sweater/smock for myself, that I get too bored to do for very long: about 250 stitches per row in garter stitch -- man, that's mind-numbing!  But it's so much better than the about 400 stitches it was before I put the sleeves on waste yarn!

I am here today to report on my newest spinning try.  This time I separated 12 ounces of raw undyed fiber (Colonial sheep) into three 4-oz batches.  I dyed two of the batches in sapphire, and the third batch in a higher concentration of the same dye.  After this adventure, I have decided John and I need to build our garage in Colorado with the apartment above it, so that I have a dyeing studio.  John hates the smell of hot wool, and the mess it can make is stupendous!  I won't be able to do much dyeing in the house, so I'd better have someplace to do it all.  So I spun the three batches of wool and plied them together, and this is the result:




The lighter patches are from the light coming through the trees, but the color is a pretty close match.  I'm pleased with it.  I got about 400 yards of 11-12 wraps per inch yarn.  Hopefully it will yield enough yarn to make a substantial item for me.

Gerri:  Since you're the only person who follows my blog, I should let you know.  The Hot August Knits yarn crawl starts next week, and I'm planning to get registered for the grand prize, which means visiting (and buying at) all 9 shops.  The participating shops are in Cheyenne and Laramie, Wyoming, and in Fort Collins and Estes Park Colorado.  I thought of you when I saw the newest participant in the crawl:  The Loopy Ewe!  I'm planning to make my first visit there in a couple of weeks.  I hope there's some money in my bank account when I leave!

2 comments:

  1. I'm still chuckling, Joanna.
    First off, let me say, "I'm impressed with all you've accomplished!"
    So much, so little time.
    ♥♥♥♥ this BLUE ! ! !! ! !
    Now, Then, Colonial Sheep.
    From what I'm reading, Joanna,
    there are two distinct breeds that are described as "colonial"
    Hog Island and Leicester Longwools
    where does your fleece fit in?
    how did you come by it?

    The Loopy Ewe - how FUN THIS IS GOING TO BE ! !
    Sheri [owner] and the Elves [sales,etc] are great! ! ! Sheri is a true 'marketer' she is a mastermind. I love how she does business.
    The Elves gives very personal attention to each of my online orders. Did you know they have a webcam running during business hours. I can see what's going on there with a new shot comes up every 60 seconds. If you request, they will be certain You are in a frame that they will post on The Loopy Ewe Website for a period of time.
    See it on TheLoopyEwe.com
    Yikes, what a long comment. But I love hearing what the newest is with you.
    hugs you spinner you
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly don't know about the type of sheep. I ordered the roving from Paradise Fibers and the description was Colonial Wool South American top. At less than $17/pound, I could afford to experiment!

    ReplyDelete