Monday, April 2, 2012

Spinning and dying fun


After spinning a bobbin full of fiber and still having 4 ounces left out of my pound of roving, I decided to spin this up in a hurry and try some jacquard acid dye.  This is kelly green and I had such fun playing with it.  Now I have to  think of something to knit up with about 120 yards of worsted weight wool.  Any ideas?

After spinning up this fiber, I've decided I feel similarly about Romney in sheep and in candidates:  It'll pass in a pinch, but not my first choice!


My first lace shawl project was so fun, I've done three of them!  This is the Ashton shawlette, available at knittingparadise.com, where I ran into it.  The first was shawlette size in a sportweight handspun in bronze; the second is almost finished, but I need to find a little bit more of the sequined worsted weight yarn I found at Hobby Lobby in brown (or I'll finish it up with a matching or contrasting color on the points). I figure a more substantial weight shawl is good for Wyoming.  The third is my favorite, because I made it a full-sized shawl rather than a shawlette.  It is 52" wide and 26" top to points.  The yarn is Crystal Palace Panda Wool, in Bluebell.  I wanted to make something that will go with a lot of clothes.  However, I liked it so much, I'm likely to make it again in something where the yarn stars.  It truly knits up quick.  I started it at 1 p.m. on March 17, and finished it at 3 p.m. on March 25.

Stretched out so you can see the pretty pattern.  I need to get it blocked, but I couldn't wait to get the picture posted.
 Here I am modeling my newest creation!

1 comment:

  1. Love your Kelly Green handspun.
    I've not yet used Jacquard acid dyes, yet.
    My only acid dye has been Dharma
    The Jacquard Starter kit is on my Wishlist.

    What fiber is your Kelly Green?

    The Multinomah Shawl is my favorite go-to pattern for shawlettes. The size is just right for grabbing on the go.

    Still trying to decide upon a project for the wonderful yak yarn that came in my latest yarn club shipment.

    hugs
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete